Movie Review: Lucy ****

movie lucyScarlett Johanson is Lucy, a party girl who gets wrapped up with the wrong guy in Taiwan. He forces her to deliver a package and problems arise. Lucy becomes the victim of a synthetic drug overdose that causes her to gain access to all of her brain power. However, the drug dealers want their product. They follow her to Paris and try to retrieve it with dire consequences for everyone involved. Meanwhile, Morgan Freeman plays a neuro-scientist who is the world’s foremost authority on the brain. He is giving a lecture on what humans could expect as they gain access to 20% of their brainpower. Then he describes what could happen if it rises to 30% and more. An entirely different existence is depicted should humans fully develop our brains.

First, you have to believe that humans only have access to 10% of their brain–I think they got the percentages wrong, but for the sake of the movie, I went along with it. At 20%, even new experiences will be instantly analyzed with total proficiency. At 30% and more, a superior being will exist with unlimited power. Lucy’s first time holding a gun killed all of her adversaries with a single shot to each in a split second. Her first time driving a car in Paris outmaneuvered all of the police and all of the wrecks she caused while arriving safely at her destination without the use of GPS. I enjoyed Lucy’s transformation from dumb blonde to super brain. Scarlett Johanson is very easy on my eyes. Morgan Freeman is believable as an authority figure. I had some problems with the numbers, but I enjoyed the story that was told. I enjoyed thinking about the potential power of the human mind as I experienced a thought provoking movie. I was entertained. 4 out of 5 stars.

Advertisements
Published in: on July 28, 2014 at 12:20 pm  Leave a Comment  
Tags: , ,

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: https://munrohouse.wordpress.com/2014/07/28/movie-review-lucy/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: