Fire at Chicago Water Grill in Jonesville Michigan

Chicago Water Grill Fire in Jonesville Michigan

I was watching football on a pleasant mid-November afternoon when a friend called to inform me that the Chicago Water Grill was on fire.  This is easily the finest restaurant in the county and may be the best place to eat within 50 miles. I immediately ran downtown hoping it was not true. My heart sank as I rounded the corner to see what was sure to be a horrendous disaster.  Seeing the escalating flames and counting the numerous fire departments on the scene, I immediately knew that there would be no happy ending.

Chicago Water Grill Fire in Jonesville Michigan

Hundreds of people had assembled across the street and watched with shock and sorrow as the cornerstone of downtown Jonesville and its neighbor, May’s Furniture Store, were destroyed before our eyes.  Luckily, both businesses are not open on Sundays, so there were no injuries to patrons or workers.  Many downtown businesses have apartments upstairs, but these just had storage areas on the second floor, so there were no tenants in harm’s way.

An excavation vehicle arrived and tore down the backside of both businesses to contain the fire as a crowd watched. Jonesville Hardware Store is the immediate neighbor and appears to have escaped severe damage.  The fire fighting ended by 10 p.m.  Many crews packed up and went home while the local volunteers remained on the scene to be sure there would be no flare-ups during the night.

The Chicago Water Grill has always been a great partner to my business, the Munro House Bed and Breakfast in Jonesville, Michigan.  My best wishes go out to the owners and employees of this top-notch business.

Published in: on November 22, 2009 at 11:53 pm  Leave a Comment  
Tags: ,